BMBGSA’s 18th Annual Research Symposium
Rules and Guidelines
- Poster session is open to all post-doctoral, graduate, and undergraduate students, and will have separate categories.
- Students may be registered in only one category (undergraduate, graduate, or post-doctoral).
- For graduate students and post docs presenting in both the oral and poster competitions the presented data must be different.
- Presentations must be over research in the biological sciences.
- Awards will be presented to top presenters in both oral and poster competitions and to top undergraduate poster presenters.
- Presenters may place in only one competition: If a presenter places in two competitions they will be asked which prize they wish to be awarded.
- Acceptance of abstracts may be limited due to time and space constraints.
- Decisions over acceptance of abstracts will be made by the BMBGSA Symposium Committee and will take into consideration date of submission and content of the provided abstract.
- Submission of abstracts opens August 23rd.
- Deadline for submission is October 29th.
- Applicants will be notified if their abstract was accepted no later than October 31st.
- Judging requirements are provided upon request, but the Judges will remain anonymous until after the symposium.
- All judges’ decisions are final.
Poster Presentation Rules
- Size: 36” (height) x 48” (width) maximum, with an accompanying video.
- Videos must be 10 minutes long or under and explain components of the poster. Videos will be uploaded to YouTube by the presenter. These may be unlisted or public only.
- Poster presentations are going to be conducted in a similar manner to the ASBMB online symposium. See the link below for ideas on making your poster and video.
- The link to the YouTube video will be submitted to the BMBGSA symposium committee for approval.
- This link must be submitted on or before November 2. Instructions on link submission will be provided following abstract acceptance.
- Poster presenters will be required to attend a question session, to be held over slack or Zoom. (TBD) Presenters must attend their respective question sessions to be considered for awards.
Oral Session Rules
- Presenters are limited to 15 minutes (10 minutes to present and 5 minutes for questions), and will not receive additional time.
- Presentations must be conducted over Zoom. PowerPoint will be used for the presentation visuals. Presenters will share their screens and present from their personal computers.
- Award values are contingent upon funding and donations.
- Awards will be announced over Zoom on the final day of the Symposium.
- Award values will be determined no later than November 19, 2021.
- Awards will be distributed using the Oklahoma State University Bursar system.