Undergraduate advising in the Biochemistry and Molecular Biology department provides you the opportunity to build a relationship with your advisor for the purpose of gaining assistance in planning your educational career, learning skills needed for academic success and making you aware of he resources available to you at OSU.
In order to ensure your academic and career goals are a success, you must have a participatory partnership between you and your advisor. This relationship will be built over your entire educational experience, and both you and your advisor have clear responsibilities for ensuring the advising partnership is a success.
Undergraduate Advisors Contact Information
- Dr. Patricia Canaan
For an appointment, contact via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dr. Don Ruhl
For an appointment, contact via email: email@example.com
- Dr. Kevin Wilson
For an appointment, contact via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
What you can expect from your advisor:
- Understand and effectively communicate curriculum, graduation requirements, and academic policies and procedures.
- Encourage and guide you to define and develop clear and realistic educational plans.
- Assist you in gaining decision making skills and assuming increasing responsibility for your educational plans and achievements.
- Be accessible for meetings with you during office hours, by appointment, telephone or email.
- Maintain your privacy according to FERPA and university policy by limiting information given out over the phone and using only Oklahoma State University email unless other email address is provided in writing from you.
- Work with you to assess your academic performance and areas of strength to ensure they are consistent with your plans.
- Refer you to other campus offices and resources as needed.
What your advisor expects from you:
- Schedule and attend advising appointments at least once per semester.
- Be involved in the advising process by being prepared to discuss your goals and educational plans during meetings.
- Create an advising folder to organize your advising-related materials, keep it updated, and bring it with you to your appointment with me.
- Ask questions if you do not understand an issue or have a specific concern.
- Take primary responsibility for your educational plans and goals by reviewing your degree audit and track your progress toward completing your graduation requirements each semester. Bring any discrepancies to my attention.
- Complete all assignments or recommendations from your advisor.
- Keep your address and phone information up-to-date.
- Join the listserv and read your email regularly. This is how the university and our office will communicate with you.
- Refrain from asking for academic advice from friends, classmates or parents.
- Accept responsibility for your decisions and your actions (or inactions) that affect your educational progress and goals.