2023 Extension Master Gardener Conference
Mark your calendars and join us for the 2023 Master Gardener Conference on October 5-6, 2023 in El Reno, OK! The conference is hosted by the Canadian County Master Gardeners.
2023: October 5 and 6
A note from the Canadian County Master Gardeners
“On behalf of the Canadian County Master Gardeners, welcome to an event celebrating two days of “Honoring Our Past, Growing Our Future.” Topics ranging from native plants and horticultural trends to edibles and wildlife are sure to please even the greenest of thumbs. Other highlights of the conference include 14 expert guest speakers, garden tours, educational and vendor booths, door prizes, and a special social night. This promises to be an opportunity you will not want to miss! Registration opens July 1.”
The Canadian Master Gardeners have a variety of tours lined up for the conference. Starting Thursday at noon, there will be several stops to visit in El Reno, such as the BlueSTEM Fort Reno gardens, Extension Office gardens, Heroes Plaza container garden, the Canadian County Historical Museum and downtown trolley. Following the conference on Friday, there will be an opportunity to visit one of our very own Master Gardener's home gardens, just across the street from the conference center. We will also have a brochure available of worthwhile places to visit and dine at in Canadian County while you're visiting!”
Thursday Evening Social: Come visit and socialize with your fellow Master Gardeners Thursday evening in a laid-back setting with music, door prizes, and beautiful Oklahoma woodlands as the backdrop. Tea, wine, and heavy finger foods will be served.
Friday, October 6
- 8:00 - 8:45 am: Registration/Vendor Booths/Snacks and Coffee
- 9:00 - 10:00 am: Keynote Speaker, Kelly Kindscher, University of Kansas
- 10:00 - 10:30 am: BREAK/Visit Vendors
- 10:30 am - 12:15 pm: Breakout Sessions (Subject to Change)
- 12:15 - 12:30 pm: BREAK/Visit Vendors
- 12:30 - 1:15 pm: BUFFET LUNCH in Seminar Room
- 1:15 - 2:15 pm: Keynote Speaker, LaTasha Timberlake, Lillian Timber Farms Inc.
- 2:15 - 2:30 pm: Break/Networking
- 2:30 - 3:15 pm: Breakout Sessions (Subject to Change)
- 3:30 pm: Conference Wrap Up - Seminar Room
- 3:45 pm: Tour of Carolyn Balson's Garden
- AM: Native Edible and Medicinal Plants on the Prairie. Kelly Kindscher, University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS.
- PM: Growing Community One Garden at a Time, LaTasha Timberlake, Lillian Timber Farms, Inc., Oklahoma City, OK.
Morning Breakout Sessions: 10:30 - 11:15 AM
- Seminar Room: Landscaping 2.0: Finding a New Paradigm with Native Plants and Landscapes, Adam Sarmiento, Eco Landscaping
- Classroom I (22): Project Learning Tree: Activities to Engage Kids in Exploring Their Environment, Tony Pascall, OK Forestry Department
- Classroom 2 (48): Today's Landscape and Garden Trends, Allan Storjohann, KRMG Gardening Show
- Classroom 3(39): Municipal Composting, Bret Scovill, City of Norman
11:30 AM - 12:15 PM
- Seminar Room: Enhancing Our Landscape to Benefit Birds, Mark Howery, Oklahoma Department Wildlife Conservation, Oklahoma City, OK
- Classroom I (22): The Italian Renaissance Garden, Julia Laughlin, OSU Extension, Oklahoma County, Oklahoma City, OK
- Classroom 2 (48): TBD, Sam Grimmett, Scissortail Park, Oklahoma City, OK
- Classroom 3(39): The Blessings of Bees, Susan Turner and Dennis Bilbrey, Canadian County Master Gardeners
Afternoon Breakout Sessions: 2:30 AM - 3:15 PM
- Seminar Room: TBD, Casey Hentges, Host of Oklahoma Gardening, Department of Horticulture and Landscape Architecture, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, OK
- Classroom I (22): Pesticides from the Past and What the Future Looks Like, Charles Luper, Extension Associate, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, OK
- Classroom 2 (48): A New Chapter TOGETHER, Justin and Pauline Harrison, Eden Flower Farm and Greenhouse, Edmond, OK
- Classroom 3(39): Backyard Black and Blueberry Production, Ryan Neal, University of Arkansas Extension, Bentonville, AR.
More information will be coming at a later date. Registration begins July 1, 2023.