Landscape Design 4-H Fair Exhibit
There are many avenues for youth to participate in horticulture and landscape architecture through a local 4-H program. Eligibility: Any 4-H member may prepare an exhibit(s) for their county fair. First place entries are eligible for their state fair.
4-H Landscape Design Drawing Project
Develop a landscape design/drawing for the provided residence. Base Maps should be printed on 11" x 17". Once printed verify scale is 1 inch = 10 ft. Design drawings are to be made directly on the provided base maps. Use provided examples of landscape symbols to draw and/or trace on to the base map. Use the provided color rendered landscape drawings for example of effective designs and color techniques.
Intro Video: Project Overview
Video #1: Eight Line Types (6:25)
Video #2: Plant Symbols and Color (13:12)
Video #3: Designing for Function and Activities (10:14)
Video #4: Designing with Geometry (6:15)
Video #5: Rectilinear Design Example (13:41)
Video #6: Arc Tangent Design Example (1:55)
Ribbons will be placed on top ten - 5 in each class.
- Use white 11" x 17" paper to horizontal exhibit landscape drawings.
- Create a column on right side of sheet for title block, 2 inches wide from top of drawing to bottom. List the following in INK: Scale, symbols of plants, numbers representing trees, shrubs and plants, and how many of each plant were used in the landscape. Example: 1-Rose (6), 2 - Oak trees (4); 3 - Petunia (3 dozen or 36). List name, date and club on the back for competition.
- Drawing is top view (plan view).
- Use the scale provided: 1 in. = 10 ft.
- Hand drawings will be accepted.
- Draw plant symbols at mature plant size.
- Use the plant symbols and the materials symbols provided.
- Drawings must be full color.
- Walkways should be 3 foot OR 5 foot wide.
- Patio(s) are required on the back of the house.
- In the drawings use a line to indicate the planting beds. All small trees, shrubs and perennials should be inside a planting bed. Large trees could be found in the lawn or inside planting beds.