Oklahoma Cooperative Fish and Wildlife Research Unit
The Cooperative Units Program of the U.S. Geological Survey has been an integral part of Oklahoma State University since 1948. With direction from our Coordinating Committee, our research is conducted on a wide variety of fisheries and wildlife topics in cooperation with federal agencies, the University, the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation, and various private concerns. Most of our research projects are problem-oriented and designed to provide cooperators with useful information on resource issues.
The majority of the research through the Oklahoma Cooperative Fish and Wildlife Research Unit is conducted by M.S. and Ph.D. candidates in the Department of Natural Resource Ecology and Management. These students are advised by Unit Leaders and Cooperating Faculty at OSU. Since 1948, more than 400 theses and dissertations have resulted from their collective scholarship. Unit-affiliated students are currently conducting research on fisheries management in reservoirs and rivers; stream ecology; endangered, threatened, and species-at-risk including Ozark big-eared bats and various grassland birds; management of black bears, long nose darters, and bobwhite quail; and fisheries economics. As we begin to celebrate our 7th decade and our new association with OSU’s Department of Natural Resource Ecology and Management that began in 2006, future projects will continue to emphasize applied research on the biological resources of Oklahoma and the nation.
- Dr. Thomas Coon | Vice President, Division of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources, Oklahoma State University
- Mr. J.D. Strong | Director, Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation
- Dr. Jonathan Mawdsley | Chief, Division of Cooperative Research, U.S. Geological Survey
- Mr. Jonathan Gassett | Southeast Field Rep., Wildlife Management Institute
- James Broska | Assistant Regional Director of Science Applications, SW Region, US Fish and Wildlife Service
- Dr. James M. Long | Unit Leader and Adjunct Associate Professor
Ph.D., Oklahoma State University, 2000
- Dr. Robert Lonsinger | Assistant Unit Leader and Adjunct Assistant Professor
Ph.D., University of Idaho, 2015
- Cheryl McKnight | Accounting Specialist
- Marcie Lemons | Sr. Administrative Support Assistant
- Renee Flasch | Administration Support Assistant