Come join us to explore our world! We offer two short-term study abroad experiences to truly amazing and remarkable destinations. Read the information below. All OSU students are welcome - any class level - any major. You'll earn academic credit in Natural Resource Ecology & Management 4093 (with I-designation) which can apply to any OSU degree program, and have a learning adventure of a lifetime!
Check out the poster displays from our recent trips in the Natural Resource Ecology & Management hallway near my office at 015 Ag Hall and down the hall at 019 Ag Hall. Student participants will attest that my trips are filled with adventure and memorable cultural experiences, and they truly are transformational and life-changing. Just ask one of them!
I have been leading study-trips abroad for OSU students for the past 20 years, and more than 300 have traveled abroad with me. If interested, be sure to come by as soon as you can to let me know and to claim a spot. Space is limited for each trip. Let's talk and let's go explore and experience our amazing world!
Andes Adventure in Peru
Offered during the OSU Spring Break (plus a few days before).
- This trip will be a natural, cultural and historical experience in the stunning landscape
of the Andes Mountains of southern Peru.
- We'll travel by plane, train, boat, bus, and our own two feet as we get into the "real-deal" fabric of the land and the culture.
- We'll explore dramatic Inca temples, terraces and fortresses in the Sacred Valley near Cusco, Peru, including Sacsayhuaman, Ollantaytambo, Moray, Chinchero, Raqchi, and the stunning "Lost City of the Inca" Machu Picchu.
- We'll experience Lake Titicaca, the world's highest navigable fresh water lake situated at 12,500 feet on the Andean altiplano, where we will visit the floating reed islands of Uros and homestay with traditional Quechua families on Amantaní Island, where life is a bit simpler.
- We'll lodge at a working dairy farm on the Andes altiplano and learn about the management of high elevation grasslands. We'll make cheese and ride horses with some Peruvian cowboys.
- We'll shop at artisan marketplaces for the coolest alpaca sweater and stocking cap ever - at amazingly low prices!
- We will have weekly class meetings prior to the trip to get focused and ready.
- Approximate cost: $3700 plus airfare
Galapagos Islands Adventure Cruise
This begins one week after the end of the spring semester.
- The Galapagos archipelago is situated on the equator, 600 miles out in the Pacific Ocean offshore of continental Ecuador. The islands are a unique natural treasure trove of endemic animal and plant species first brought to the world's attention by Charles Darwin during his epic voyage on the HMS Beagle in 1835.
- We will "island hop" to a diversity of unique sites on eight different islands. Our days will be a combination of exploring the rugged volcanic shoreline and interior landscape on treks, and swimming and snorkeling in shoreline waters with pristine and wild beaches...and deep-water snorkels as well.
- We'll experience a dramatic diversity of wildlife species including blue-footed boobies, the Galápagos penguin, the waved albatross, Darwin's finches, the magnificent frigate bird, flamingos, pelicans, the flightless cormorant, numerous other birds, land and marine iguanas, sea lions, fur seals, dolphins, numerous colorful fish, eagle rays, white-tipped sharks, sea turtles and the renowned giant land tortoise.
- This will be an 8-day cruise in double occupancy cabins on a first class ship - a truly amazing boat with all the amenities and comforts. There are nice lounges, a dining room with exceptional cuisine, an on-board pool and hot tubs, and observation decks for relaxing during breaks during the day and taking in the starriest sky you'll ever see at night.
- Living on a ship truly will be an opportunity for "changes in latitudes…changes in attitudes." We routinely will be in remote settings away from the usual tourist crowd and have the islands to ourselves most of the time - a trip of a lifetime!
- There will be six weeks of prep classes in the evenings starting prior to departing to get focused and ready.
- Approximate cost: $5500 plus airfare