Animal genetics studies how and what traits are inherited. Our program focuses on domesticated animals, such as livestock species and pets.
Anyone interested in animal genomics can pursue an animal science major within our department.
Our animal genetics research focuses on:
- Genome sequence analysis and functional annotation.
- Genomic changes and animal production.
- The development of models and algorithms to better classify functional interactions.
- The microbiomes of the canine and equine reproductive tracts.
- The role of microbiomes in animal production and health.
OSU strives to keep the industry and consumers informed with up-to-date research data and outreach efforts.